David Downs began his practice as a defense lawyer for multi-billion dollar corporations as well as their insurance companies. This means he knows, from personal experience, how insurance companies, big corporations and their well paid defense lawyers operate. Insurance companies are determined to save costs and pay as little as possible when a serious injury or wrongful death has occurred. David Downs and his staff specialize in personal injury matters and mediation services. He knows the tactics these giants can take, and he knows how to react. He is your local personal injury lawyer with over 20 years of experience.
Mr. Downs has handled hundreds of personal injury cases including automobile accidents, trucking accidents, motorcycle accidents and bicycle accidents. He can assist clients with medical malpractice claims and defective products cases as well. He has also worked as a certified mediator for the last 13 years.
|Certified Mediator||Conflict Resolution Training Institute, San Antonio, TX, 1998|
|J.D.||St. Mary’s University, School of Law, San Antonio, TX, 1990|
|M.B.A.||Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, 1984|
|B.B.A.||Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, 1981|
Mr. Downs began practicing law in 1990 and founded his own firm in 1996. David continues to learn updated legal skills through his many Continuing Legal Education seminars. David, his wife and two boys moved from Texas to Durango over nine years ago. They love the lifestyle, great weather, fantastic skiing and outdoor recreation here in Colorado.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- President of the Southwestern Colorado Bar Association 2004-2005, and Member 2004-present
- American Bar Association Member
- Colorado Trial Lawyers’ Association Member
- Licensed in Colorado and Texas
Victims of these types of accidents often attempt to obtain their own personal injury settlements. They hope that the insurance company will settle their accident claims as promptly and fairly as they advertise, but the accident victim often gets nowhere.
- 2010-2011 Board President of the United Way Chapter in Southwest Colorado
- Member of High-Noon Rotary
- Board Member for ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease) 1997-2002, Current Member
- Habitat for Humanity volunteer
- Muscular Dystrophy Association volunteer
- Presentor at Durango High School for entrepreneur and legal classes
- Donated hundreds of hours of legal advice to people from Cortez to Pagosa Springs, CO who could not afford to hire an attoney.
- Pro Bono Mediation Services for La Plata County Small Claims Court
The Law Offices of David L. Downs, LLC., serves personal injury clients in Southwest Colorado. The office is conveniently located at 2051 Main Avenue in Durango, Colorado. David Downs is licensed and practices in both Colorado and Texas.
Contact David Downs by phone at 970-247-8020 or by email for your free consultation.